You likely know what a honeybee is and that they make honey & beeswax, but have you ever heard of “bee glue” or propolis? Find out what it is in our video and see how we make ourselves some medicinal candies with it.
Humans have been using propolis for thousands of years for its medicinal properties. The word “propolis” is derived from Greek with “pro” meaning defence and “polis” for city or community.
Essentially it is a substance that the bees create mainly from tree resins for the purpose of hive maintenance. They use it for tasks like sealing holes and cracks in the beehive. The make up of the propolis will vary depending on the location of the bees and what trees and flowers they have access to. It can vary in color from yellow green to red to dark brown depending on its source and age.
To a jar add:
30 grams of propolis
70 grams of vodka
(If you have access to higher proof alcohols they are recommended)
Set the closed jar in a safe spot, and shake it regularly for 2+ weeks. Strain.
3/4 cup water
1 tsp minced ginger
255 grams (3/4 cup) of honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon tincture (or extract)
10 drops propolis tincture (see above)
- Add water, honey & ginger to a pot. Heat on medium until it starts to boil
- Continue boiling the mixture until it reaches 300º. Bee careful! If you don’t have a thermometer, drop a bit of the heated mixture into a bowl of cool water. When it hardens instantly — it’s ready.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool until it starts to thicken.
- Add in propolis tincture, and cinnamon tincture (or extract).
- On parchment paper or in molds, portion out small spoonfuls of the mixture and let cool.
- When cool, dust with icing sugar or cornstarch to help prevent them from sticking together.
- Store in an airtight container.