This year there was a good crop of fireweed which is fantastic because we just finished off our last jar from 2021! (Last year wasn't so plentiful)
Fireweed jelly has a unique and delicate flavor profile. It is often described as light, floral, and slightly sweet with subtle hints of honey and a touch of tanginess. The taste is reminiscent of the fireweed blossoms themselves, which have a pleasant, gentle sweetness. The jelly's flavor is generally mild and not overpowering, allowing the natural essence of the fireweed blossoms to shine through. It pairs wonderfully with various foods, such as toast, scones, or even as a glaze for meats, offering a delightful taste of the wild and a truly enjoyable culinary experience.
Join us as we whip up a batch from our harvest this season!
Or if you’d like to try Fireweed in your skincare routine check our Buffalo Charlie artisan soaps through Foraged Market. Use coupon code EXPLORE for 30% off for the rest of July!
- 8-10 cups fireweed blossoms
- 8 cups water
- 3-4 packages powder pectin
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 8 cups sugar
- Add blossoms and water to a large pot. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the liquid out, and add liquid back to pot.
- Add pectin and lemon juice, and bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Add sugar, stirring continually and boil for another minute.
- Ladle into hot, sterilized jars.
- Process in a hot water bath.
- Carefully remove, and allow jars to cool & seal undisturbed.