This week we decided to go adventuring in Saskatchewan and take on the challenge of making a meal from our fall finds!
Join us and learn a little bit about the plants we find, and see what kind of meal we end up with.
Note: I think it is wonderful how the local ski clubs maintain these spaces! Join or donate to the spaces near you. :)
Potato Wedges with Sage & Pine Seasoning
- Garden potatoes
- Wild Sage Leaves, chopped
- Pine Needles, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Slice washed potatoes into similar sized wedges.
- Mix with oil and the chopped sage and pine.
- Roast in the oven or in an air fryer. We used the air fryer on 400F for about 22 minutes.
Served with Hawthorn Ketchup
- 250g Hawthorn berries
- 150ml apple cider vinegar
- 150ml of water
- 85g of sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Add the cleaned berries to a large pan with the water and cider vinegar, then bring to the boil. Allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, until the skins of the berries begin to burst.
- Remove from heat and pour the contents of the pan through a sieve to remove the pits and tough pieces of skin.
- Transfer strained contents to a clean pan with the sugar and place over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once dissolved, bring to the boil and simmer until syrup-like and reduced.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- It is delicious with potato wedges!
Strawberry Leaf Tea
- Wild Strawberry Leaves
- Hot water
- Place leaves into tea ball or tea basket.
- Steep in hot water for 8-10 minutes.
Mixed Fruit Dessert with Honey & Goldenrod Seeds
- Highbush Cranberries
- Rosehips, de-seeded
- Chokecherry, de-pitted
- Honey, to taste
- Goldenrod seeds, ground (to thicken)
- Cook the cranberries until soft in a pot with a bit of water.
- Press through a sieve to remove pits.
- Add liquid back to the pan.
- Add honey to sweeten to taste.
- Add in other prepared fruit pieces (rose hips and chokecherries)
- Grind goldenrod seeds, and mix in for thickening.
(It was good as a dessert, but would probably be even better used as a topping or stirred in with some plain yogurt.)