Wild Turkish Delights
A viewer recommended I try out this traditional Turkish Delight recipe, and I thought it would be fun to give it a wild twist with a few of the items I've been saving in my freezer - Rose Hips and Chokecherries!
I found the colors and flavors that they imparted were quite delightful!
Original Recipe - @linaninyemektarifleri
To make juice:
- Rose Hips or Chokecherries, frozen
- Cover with water, and simmer until the fruit is soft and the juice is released.
- Strain out seeds, hairs, etc.
- Optional - Squeeze every last drop out! A potato ricer may also be used.
- 80g (1/2 cup) cornstarch
- 300ml juice of choice
- 60g (1/2 cup) sugar
- Add cornstarch to pot
- Whisk in juice and remove all lumps
- Add sugar and stir until combined
- Simmer on low heat until thickened (switch from whisk to spatula)
- Cook until a thick paste is formed
- Prepare dish by coating with water, then pouring water the out
- Pour batter into dish and smooth
- Once cooled, cover & place in the fridge overnight
- Gently loosen from dish, and cut into squares
- Roll in coconut, cornstarch or powdered sugar