Fun With Fairy Fungi
Mushrooms have been one of my favorite foods since I was little, and so I've always been interested in the mushrooms found in the wild. But our culture is one that is mycophobic (a fear of mushrooms) so I've always been extremely cautious around them.
I've tried growing a few varieties myself with limited success but last year was the first time I actually sampled some wild mushrooms! And this week's video chronicles our first experience with Fairy Ring Mushrooms (Marasmius oreades) from our own front yard.
I found this article by Forager Chef was very helpful, and I adapted his recipe for our first Fairy Ring meal - https://foragerchef.com/fairy-ring-mushrooms-marasmius-oreades/
If you are interested in reading about how amazing mushrooms are you might want to check out:
- Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures (affiliate link)
- Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Help Save the World (affiliate link)
If you want to learn more about wild mushrooms:
- The Complete Mushroom Hunter, Revised: Illustrated Guide to Foraging, Harvesting, and Enjoying Wild Mushrooms - Including new sections on growing your own incredible edibles and off-season collecting (affiliate link)
- How to Forage for Mushrooms without Dying: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Identifying 29 Wild, Edible Mushrooms (affiliate link)
- Mushrooms of the Boreal Forest